Have you ever clicked on a website from your phone and notice that half of the text is cut off? Photos are all over the place? It’s stressful and a bad user experience!
When creating a website, you should always have the term “mobile-friendly” in the back of your mind. If your website isn’t mobile-friendly, people who browse the internet on their cell phones will have issues when trying to view your site.
Let’s look at why that matters, some tips you can use, and finally some examples of well-designed mobile websites.
Reasons why your website should be mobile-friendly
An obvious reason for having a mobile-friendly website is because most people who have cell phones are likely to use the internet from that device on a daily basis. In Google Analytics, I took a look at a few of our clients to see how many of their website visitors were on mobile devices.. They had as few as 15% of the visitors on mobile devices and as many as 72%.
Other reasons include:
- Your competitors probably have a website that is mobile-friendly.
- You can reach a larger audience.
- People on their cell phone are likely to stick around longer.
- It offers an easy and better browsing experience.
- It makes it easier for people to contact you, buy your products, sign up for your newsletters, and more.
Mobile-friendly website design tips
Let’s talk design. In order to have a successful website in general, it should be designed well. The same goes for the mobile-friendly view. Here are a few tips to consider when designing your desktop-to-mobile-friendly website.
- Choose a good theme that supports Responsive Design
- Simplify your content
- Avoid using pop-ups
- Consider the size of your font and buttons
- Make your images smaller
- Make information easy to find
- Remember that simplicity is good and overdoing it is not
Mobile-friendly websites gallery
Still not sure what exactly a “mobile-friendly” website entails or where to start? Luckily, we’ve compiled some of our favorites for you to view so you can get ideas and apply them to your own website!