Are you an executive director of a nonprofit organization? If so, LinkedIn is a powerful tool you should use to market your organization. Let’s look at how you can start doing that, including creating a strong profile, building relationships with other professionals, and using LinkedIn for fundraising.
Building a strong LinkedIn profile
A good LinkedIn profile is essential for any professional, but it is especially important for executive directors of nonprofits. Your profile should clearly and concisely communicate your experience and skills.
Here are some tips for building out a strong LinkedIn profile:
- Upload a recent headshot to your profile.
- Upload a good, fitting, professional cover photo. (aka background photo)
- Use a professional, enticing headline that’s more than just your current position.
- Use keywords that are relevant to your industry and organization.
- Write a clear and concise overview of your experience and skills.
- Include any publications or presentations you have authored or presented.
- Make sure all the details on your profile are up-to-date and accurate.
- Fill out as many sections as you can.
Building relationships with other professionals
Building relationships with other professionals on LinkedIn is a great way to network and raise awareness for your organization. You can connect with other executives in the nonprofit sector, as well as potential donors and volunteers. By sharing articles, commenting on posts, and joining groups, you can build relationships with people who may be interested in supporting your organization.
Here are some specific tips for building relationships with other professionals:
- Set a goal for a specific number of connection requests you plan to send each week, then stick to it.
- Interact with the posts of others by liking, commenting, and sharing them.
- Join groups related to your profession or industry and participate in them.
- Share longer story-like posts regularly, roughly 150-200 words.
- Follow relevant companies and individuals.
Using LinkedIn for fundraising
White-collar professionals make up many of the active LinkedIn accounts. As such, it can be an excellent tool for fundraising. You can use LinkedIn to connect with potential donors and volunteers and share information about your organization. When writing posts, personalize your message and explain how donations or volunteering will make a difference.
Here are a few tips for using LinkedIn for fundraising:
- Create a Company Page for your nonprofit and post to it regularly.
- Invite connections to follow your Company Page.
- Mention specific ways donations help, posting them on your Company Page and your personal profile.
- Seek out potential donors and connect with them.
- Post short stories about how your nonprofit is fulfilling its mission.
By following these tips, you can maximize your use of LinkedIn as an executive director of a nonprofit organization. Building a strong profile, networking with other professionals, and using LinkedIn for fundraising will help you raise awareness and support for your organization.